A doctor on a Micro blogging Platform (Twitter) has reacted to the claims making waves online on the recent research.
“I saw this 1st last night on a whatsapp group. I laughed. Hard.
Then, this morning I saw it again on another whatsapp group! Then I knew ‘THIS IS SERIOUS O’
For the purpose education
1. The prostate is a small gland,the size of an AGBALUMO found around the urethra in men that produces the seminal fluid that nourishes & transports sperm.Thus Prostate Cancer affects the prostate. It’s one of the commonest causes of male deaths in Nigeria.
2. The cause is not clear but usually what happens is that the production of TESTOSTERONE is what sustains the prostate to sustain the sperm. So with testosterone production, the prostate gets bigger & bigger until it begins to obstruct the passage of urine/injure the urethra.
3. However there are risk factors.
GENDER: Being a man automatically makes you at risk. We have prostate, women don’t.
AGE: ‘Cos testosterone is produced all through life, with increasing age, the prostate previously like an AGBALUMO can get as big as an ORANGE.
In fact, alot of old men who died might have been from/with a very enlarged prostate.
SADLY, we now have young men having Prostate Cancer ‘cos of LIFESTYLE.
RACE:For unknown reasons,black men have more risk of prostate cancer than men of other races. It’s also more aggressive.
LIFESTYLE:Smoking, excessive alcohol/binge drinking, poor diet, lack of exercise, excess fatty foods, lack of fruits and vegetables
FAMILY HISTORY:If men in the family have had prostate Ca or women have had Breast cancer, risk is increased.
4. An enlarged prostate doesn’t automatically translate to Prostate Ca. Other conditions could also occur; Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH), Prostatitis (Infection of the Prostate)
So don’t assume, get to the hospital!
5. SYMPTOMS OF ENLARGED PROSTATE
Frequency: You find yourself going to pee several times cos you feel like you haven’t emptied your bladder.
Urgency: Normally, our bladder is able to hold urine until we find a ‘socially acceptable place’ to pee. If you can’t hold your pee, then
You need to get checked. If you feel like ‘if I don’t pee now now now, I will pee on my body’, then there’s a problem.
Urge Incontinence: If as an adult man, you wake up in the morning to see that you wet your bed, then Wahala.
Nocturia: You find yourself waking up more times..
than usual at night to go pee?
HEMATURIA:Once you see blood in your urine, IT’S AN EMERGENCY! Get to the hospital.
PAIN: Around the spine, back, hips. Please don’t wait, hospital straight!
P. S: There are other conditions that can present with these symptoms. See your doctor.
6. Early diagnosis/Screening = Early detection, treatment & a better quality of life.
The PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test is the basic test for diagnosis. PSA> 4 calls for concern.
Screenings are done everywhere. Go get screened!
7. Prostate Cancer is Curable! If you detect it early. There are things that can be done to reduce the size.
If you are above 40, or there’s a family history of Prostate/Breast Ca (irrespective of the age), go and check your prostate!
8. To protect your prostate as much as possible,
-GET SCREENED/Regular health checks
– Good, healthy, balanced diet.
-Avoid high-fat foods
-Cut down your weight.
-Lots of fruits & vegetables
-Cut down on your alcohol/STOP.
9. The following foods are prostate-protective
-Fish high in omega 3 fats(mackerel, salmon, cod liver oil, oysters etc)
– Ubé 🍆 (our local pear)
– Cherry Tomatoes (rich in lycopene & phytoestrogen)
10. LACK OF SEX DOESN’T CAUSE PROSTATE CANCER
EXCESSIVE SEX DOESN’T CAUSE PROSTATE CANCER
HAVING SEX 21 TIMES IN A MONTH DOESN’T REDUCE PROSTATE CANCER
MASTURBATION DOESN’T REDUCE PROSTATE CA
SEX HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PROSTATE CA”
Source : @The TalkDoctor