NIMC has given seven important reasons why the national identification number is important for all Nigerians.
Nigerians have been given an update concerning registration of their National Identification Number.
The National Identity Management Commission has listed seven important reasons why Nigerians should immediately obtain their NIN and link their sim cards..
See the list below:
1. The NIN is your assured digital identity
2. The NIN is a set of 11 numbers assigned to an individual at the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database
3. The NIN is non-transferable
4. The NIN is used to verify your identity
5. Your NIN is what identifies you and it can suffice for ID purposes
6. The NIN is for life, it does not expire
7. All citizens and legal residents including children are eligible to enrol for the NIN
Meanwhile, NIMC has debunked a viral claim that Nigeria’s old National Identity card has a “seq number” which can now be used as an alternative to NIN by those who have it and are yet enrol for the new NIN.
According to the agency, the National Identity card has been discontinued. The agency further enjoined anyone who is yet to enrol for NIN to do so.
Similarly, NIMC has also earlier reacted to a claim that those who registered for the Bank Verification Number (BVN) as early as 2014 already have NIN and do not need to register for it again.
According to NIMC’s spokesperson, Kayode Adegoke, the claim is incorrect as the commission must capture peoples’ data first before allocating NIN to them.