Suspected cultists invaded a burial ceremony holding on Saturday February 26, in Anambra state and killed many mourners before firing multiple shots at the corpse.
The burial ceremony for Ozor Chibuike Joseph Chukwuka, aged 34, was underway today, Feb. 26, in Ebenebe, Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State, when the gunmen stormed the venue, shooting sporadically.
The deceased, alleged to be the leader of a cult group while alive, was lying in state in his family compound when the cultists attacked.
A video from the scene shows bodies littered all over the floor of the venue.
Chairs and canopies were upturned, indicating there had been chaos as people ran for their lives in different directions.
The casket is seen lying open on the floor, with the body of the deceased visible.
The cultists are said to have shot at the body in the casket multiple times before leaving.
Eyewitnesses claim about 20 people died while many were injured and have been rushed to the hospital.
The Anambra State Police command confirmed the incident, stating that it was a case of cult rivalry.
The police statement reads: “Today 26th February, 2022 information was received from concerned citizens about the mayhem unleashed by cultists on rival cultists at the burial of a notorious cultist known as Ozo in Ebenebe, Awka North LGA.
“Although no notification was given to the Police about the planned burial, the Commissioner of Police immediately drafted Police Tactical Teams led by an Assistant Commissioner of Police to the town to protect the people against the rampaging cultists.
“On the spot assessment indicate that not less than five suspected cultists were killed in cold blood. Some of the corpses had been removed by their relations.
“The Commissioner of Police is miffed at the cold heartedness of criminal elements in the society who have no regard for the sanctity of life of their fellow citizens.
“It must be restated that no one, no matter their grievance, has the right to take the life of another person. The perpetrators of this crime will be hunted down until they are brought to justice.
“The Commissioner of Police implores the good citizens of Anambra State to continue to support the Police Command with timely information to enable it provide quality security for all residents and visitors alike.”
Watch a video showing the aftermath of the attack below.
- 500 Level Student Shot Dead, Others Injured as Shooting Breaks out in UNIBEN (video)A 500-level student of the University of Benin has reportedly been shot dead. Two other students were also shot and injured in the attack which took place on Friday evening, Oct. 27, in the institution. Their condition is currently unknown According to online reports, a fight began at Ekiadolor days ago …
- Treat all Gunshot Victims Without Police Report – IGP Tells Health WorkersActing Inspector General of Police, IGP, Olukayode Egbetokun, has directed medical personnel across the country to treat gunshot victims without a police report. Egbetokun said the directive became necessary based on the Compulsory Treatment and Care for Victims of Gunshot Act, 2017. Read Also: Heartwarming Moment Nigerian Woman Reunited with Her Husband and …
- Heartwarming Moment Nigerian Woman Reunited with Her Husband and Children Who Flew in to Join Her in UKHeartwarming moment Nigerian woman reunited with her husband and children who flew in to join her in UKA heartwarming video posted on TikTok shows the emotional moment a UK based Nigerian woman reunited with her husband and young children who flew into the country to join her. Read Also: Has Noah’s Ark …
- Has Noah’s Ark Been found? Archaeologists Reveal ‘Ruins’ Found in Turkey’s Boat-shaped Mound Date Back 5,000 Years Ago – the Same Period as the Biblical Flood Experts have dated rock and soil they believe hold ruins of Noah’s Ark Samples contain marine materials and seafood that suggest human activity The calculations also put the samples at the same time as the Biblical flood Archaeologists believe they are one step closer to confirming the resting place of Noah’s Ark. A team …
- You’ll Not Need It – Elon Musk Gives X Employees One Year To Replace Their Bank AccountsHe expects the features that will enable X to handle payments to launch by the end of next year (2024). The World’s richest man, Elon Musk, who is also the owner of X, has given employees of the social media platform one year to replace their bank accounts, saying they will no longer need …