Suspected cultists invaded a burial ceremony holding on Saturday February 26, in Anambra state and killed many mourners before firing multiple shots at the corpse.
The burial ceremony for Ozor Chibuike Joseph Chukwuka, aged 34, was underway today, Feb. 26, in Ebenebe, Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State, when the gunmen stormed the venue, shooting sporadically.
The deceased, alleged to be the leader of a cult group while alive, was lying in state in his family compound when the cultists attacked.
A video from the scene shows bodies littered all over the floor of the venue.
Chairs and canopies were upturned, indicating there had been chaos as people ran for their lives in different directions.
The casket is seen lying open on the floor, with the body of the deceased visible.
The cultists are said to have shot at the body in the casket multiple times before leaving.
Eyewitnesses claim about 20 people died while many were injured and have been rushed to the hospital.
The Anambra State Police command confirmed the incident, stating that it was a case of cult rivalry.
The police statement reads: “Today 26th February, 2022 information was received from concerned citizens about the mayhem unleashed by cultists on rival cultists at the burial of a notorious cultist known as Ozo in Ebenebe, Awka North LGA.
“Although no notification was given to the Police about the planned burial, the Commissioner of Police immediately drafted Police Tactical Teams led by an Assistant Commissioner of Police to the town to protect the people against the rampaging cultists.
“On the spot assessment indicate that not less than five suspected cultists were killed in cold blood. Some of the corpses had been removed by their relations.
“The Commissioner of Police is miffed at the cold heartedness of criminal elements in the society who have no regard for the sanctity of life of their fellow citizens.
“It must be restated that no one, no matter their grievance, has the right to take the life of another person. The perpetrators of this crime will be hunted down until they are brought to justice.
“The Commissioner of Police implores the good citizens of Anambra State to continue to support the Police Command with timely information to enable it provide quality security for all residents and visitors alike.”
Watch a video showing the aftermath of the attack below.
During a buria today in ebenebe in awka north LGA more 10 people where short dead , my heart bleeds .. pic.twitter.com/Rhr9ld3aJk— Somolutogetherness (@Shomolutogethe1) February 26, 2022
- Community Nabs Phone Thief, Give Him Work, Food and ‘Girlfriend’ (Video)By Henry Iheanacho A suspected thief was nabbed after stealing phone in Ga community, Akotolante, Ghana and the residents treated him to some niceties of life as opposed to mob justice. In a series of videos which has gone viral on social media, the young man was put through some rehabilitative processes. The …
- ”It’s Enough ” – Bride’s Mum Separates Couple Kissing Passionately at Wedding Reception By Henry Iheanacho A video which surfaced on social media captures an interesting public display of affection between a bride and groom at their wedding reception. The couple were locking lips on stage when the bride’s mother decided to interrupt the intimate moment. As their lips remained locked, the MC called the bride’s …
- Apostle Chinyere Offers Full Scholarship to Deborah’s Siblings, to Relocate the Family By Henry Iheanacho General Overseer of Omega Power Ministries, Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere is set to place the siblings of late Deborah Samuel on full scholarship. The clergyman made the scholarship offer via his Facebook page on Monday, May 16 as he also said that he will relocate the former Shehu Shagari College student …
- Suya Can Give You Cancer – Aproko DoctorBy Thandiubani Using elaborate medical terminologies, he explained how and why the damages are caused. Nigerian physician Chinonso Egemba aka Aproko Doctor has warned people against eating suya. The Real Story Behind Dave’s Death, The Sound Engineer Lynched Because of N100 According to him, Suya causes cancer. The doctor explains the process and instruments …
- Passenger Who Landed Plane Without Prior Experience after Pilot Suffered Medical Emergency Shares his Story as His Identity is Revealed The passenger who landed a plane despite having no training has spoken for the first time. Darren Harrison spoke to Savannah Guthrie on “Today.” He revealed that what motivated him to land the plane after the pilot lost consciousness was that he was about to become a father. The 39-year-old said after the pilot …