Four NATO members, Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland and the Netherlands have announced they would send reinforcements to assist Ukraine in its battle against Russia.
The Czech Republic committed on Saturday, February 26, to send a “shipment of weapons to Ukraine” worth over $8.5 million to a “place of Ukrainians choice.”
“The government has approved a shipment of weapons to Ukraine. We are sending machine guns, submachine guns, sniper rifles and pistols and their corresponding ammunition valued at CZK 188 million,” Czech Prime Minister Petr Fiala tweeted.
“We are doing everything we can to help Ukraine,” Fiala added.
Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa said Friday that the country would be sending reinforcements to join Ukrainian soldiers on the ground to help secure their borders as this “is a war against the freedom of self-determination of a democratic country and therefore it is also a war against the freedom of self-determination and against democracy.”
Speaking at a televised news conference, the Portuguese prime minister, flanked by Defense Minister Joao Gomes Cravinho, left, and the Chief of Armed Forces General Staff Admiral António da Silva Ribeiro said;
“There was an unanimity of all states, in view of the need to strengthen the NATO presence on the borders of Ukraine and in all the alliance countries that are close to the Ukraine region.”
“Portugal, in this sense, in addition to the forces that this year has assigned to the European command of NATO, decided to anticipate, from the second half to the first half, the mobilization and commitment of an infantry company that will act in Romania and that will be projected in the coming weeks,” Costa said.
“Several other countries at the moment are either anticipating or reinforcing or deciding to reinforce their participation with these countries [bordering Ukraine] in order to have a clear manifestation of unity and deterrence regarding Russia’s actions,” Costa added.
When asked for a specific number of soldiers that would be sent to support Ukraine, Costa said the infantry company would include 175 troopers.
The Netherlands also on Saturday said it would be providing Ukraine with more weapons.
“The Netherlands will supply Ukraine 200 anti-aircraft Stinger missiles. Other defence material already on its way,” the prime minister’s foreign affairs and defense adviser, Geoffrey van Leeuwen, tweeted.
Germany, who is very dependent on Russia for its energy and gas, also announced it will deliver anti-tank weapons and missiles to Ukraine, a major policy shift after resisting Kyiv’s previous calls for defensive weaponry.
“The Russian attack marks a change in times. It is our duty to support Ukraine as much as we can defending themselves against Putin’s invasion army. Therefore we will deliver 1,000 antitank weapons and 500 stinger missiles to our friends in Ukraine,” German Chancellor Olaf Scholz tweeted Saturday after a meeting with Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and Lithuania’s President Gitanas Nauseda.
- 500 Level Student Shot Dead, Others Injured as Shooting Breaks out in UNIBEN (video)A 500-level student of the University of Benin has reportedly been shot dead. Two other students were also shot and injured in the attack which took place on Friday evening, Oct. 27, in the institution. Their condition is currently unknown According to online reports, a fight began at Ekiadolor days ago …
- Treat all Gunshot Victims Without Police Report – IGP Tells Health WorkersActing Inspector General of Police, IGP, Olukayode Egbetokun, has directed medical personnel across the country to treat gunshot victims without a police report. Egbetokun said the directive became necessary based on the Compulsory Treatment and Care for Victims of Gunshot Act, 2017. Read Also: Heartwarming Moment Nigerian Woman Reunited with Her Husband and …
- Heartwarming Moment Nigerian Woman Reunited with Her Husband and Children Who Flew in to Join Her in UKHeartwarming moment Nigerian woman reunited with her husband and children who flew in to join her in UKA heartwarming video posted on TikTok shows the emotional moment a UK based Nigerian woman reunited with her husband and young children who flew into the country to join her. Read Also: Has Noah’s Ark …
- Has Noah’s Ark Been found? Archaeologists Reveal ‘Ruins’ Found in Turkey’s Boat-shaped Mound Date Back 5,000 Years Ago – the Same Period as the Biblical Flood Experts have dated rock and soil they believe hold ruins of Noah’s Ark Samples contain marine materials and seafood that suggest human activity The calculations also put the samples at the same time as the Biblical flood Archaeologists believe they are one step closer to confirming the resting place of Noah’s Ark. A team …
- You’ll Not Need It – Elon Musk Gives X Employees One Year To Replace Their Bank AccountsHe expects the features that will enable X to handle payments to launch by the end of next year (2024). The World’s richest man, Elon Musk, who is also the owner of X, has given employees of the social media platform one year to replace their bank accounts, saying they will no longer need …