By Henry Iheanacho
Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi has been sacked by a Federal High Court in Abuja, following his defection from the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP), to the All Progressive Congress, (APC).
Also sacked on Tuesday, March 8th 2022, is his Deputy, Dr Eric Igwe.
In a judgement delivered by Justice Inyang Ekwo, the court held that the total number of 393,042 votes Umahi secured during the March 9, 2019 governorship election in Ebonyi state, belonged to the PDP and same could not be legally transferred to the APC.
The judgement followed a suit the PDP lodged before the court.
Ekwo ruled that by defecting to the APC, both Governor Umahi and Igwe, not only jettisoned the PDP, but also the votes that belonged to it.
It held that going by the outcome of the governorship election, the office of the governor and deputy governor in Ebonyi state, “belong to the Plaintiff and no other political party.”
“There is no constitutional provision that made the ballot transferrable from one party to the other.”
The court, therefore, ordered both Umahi and his deputy to immediately vacate their positions.
It ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to immediately receive from the PDP, names of persons to replace Umahi and his Deputy, or in the alternative, conduct a fresh gubernatorial election in Ebonyi State in line with section 177(c) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The court further restrained Umahi and Igwe from further parading themselves as governor or deputy governor of Ebonyi State.
- Mechanic Returns N10.8m Mistakenly Paid into His Account by a Contractor (video)A mechanic identified simply as Mr. Timothy has been hailed for returning N10.8m mistakenly paid into his account by a contractor. The contractor named Mr. Idoba brought Mr Timothy before a …
Mechanic Returns N10.8m Mistakenly Paid into His Account by a Contractor (video) READ MORE
- Pharaoh We Are Heading Home’ Abia Residents Sing Songs Of LiberationAbia residents sing songs of liberation as they gather at the state collation centre this morning, ahead of INEC pronouncement of LP Alex Otti as the winner of the state governorship election. …
Pharaoh We Are Heading Home’ Abia Residents Sing Songs Of Liberation READ MORE
- Reverend Father Hyacinth Alia Wins Benue Guber ElectionHyacinth Alia, candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has won the Benue state governorship election. People Shouldn’t Panic after the Recent Bank Collapses, Experts Say. Here’s the Smart Thing to …
Reverend Father Hyacinth Alia Wins Benue Guber Election READ MORE
- People Shouldn’t Panic after the Recent Bank Collapses, Experts Say. Here’s the Smart Thing to Do To reassure banking customers, CEO gives them his cell number In the wake of failures at Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank and separate issues at Credit Suisse and First Republic, …
People Shouldn’t Panic after the Recent Bank Collapses, Experts Say. Here’s the Smart Thing to Do READ MORE
- Footballers 50% More Likely to Develop Dementia, Study Finds Footballers are 50% more likely to develop dementia than the rest of the population, a study has found. Researchers from the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden, published in the Lancet Public …
Footballers 50% More Likely to Develop Dementia, Study Finds READ MORE