By Henry Iheanacho
Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi has been sacked by a Federal High Court in Abuja, following his defection from the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP), to the All Progressive Congress, (APC).
Also sacked on Tuesday, March 8th 2022, is his Deputy, Dr Eric Igwe.
In a judgement delivered by Justice Inyang Ekwo, the court held that the total number of 393,042 votes Umahi secured during the March 9, 2019 governorship election in Ebonyi state, belonged to the PDP and same could not be legally transferred to the APC.
The judgement followed a suit the PDP lodged before the court.
Ekwo ruled that by defecting to the APC, both Governor Umahi and Igwe, not only jettisoned the PDP, but also the votes that belonged to it.
It held that going by the outcome of the governorship election, the office of the governor and deputy governor in Ebonyi state, “belong to the Plaintiff and no other political party.”
“There is no constitutional provision that made the ballot transferrable from one party to the other.”
The court, therefore, ordered both Umahi and his deputy to immediately vacate their positions.
It ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to immediately receive from the PDP, names of persons to replace Umahi and his Deputy, or in the alternative, conduct a fresh gubernatorial election in Ebonyi State in line with section 177(c) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.
The court further restrained Umahi and Igwe from further parading themselves as governor or deputy governor of Ebonyi State.
- Indefinite Strike: Radio, Television, Others To Shut DownRadio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Will all Shut Down Activities During the Proposed Nationwide Industrial Action Starting from October 3, 2023. This was contained in a notice of indefinite nationwide … Read more
- Full Text Of President Bola Tinubu’s 63rd Independence Day Anniversary SpeechThis is the full text of Nigeria’s President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Independence Day anniversary speech. Dear Compatriots, 1.It is my unique honour to address you on this day, the … Read more
- She Can’t Leave me. I Have Money and I f**k well – Kenyan Man Caught on Video Viciously Slapping his ‘Wife’ Boasts The Kenyan man, Raymond Nduga, who was caught on video viciously slapping his ‘wife’ says the woman will not leave him because he has a lot of money and is good … Read more
- Seven Dead as Fire Guts Spanish Nightclub Complex with Death toll Expected to Rise (video)At least seven people have died in a fire at a nightclub complex early this morning in the south eastern Spanish city of Murcia. The main fire broke out Sunday, … Read more
- “Plastic Surgery Serves no Purpose” Pope Francis Speaks on Cosmetic Surgery and Bodyshaming Pope Francis has condemned bodyshaming while admitting that he was guilty of doing it himself when he was a boy. He made this comment while speaking to university students in … Read more