The Independent National Electoral Commission has shifted the 2023 Presidential election from February 18 2023 to February 25, 2023.
The Chairman of the commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, who disclosed this at a news conference in Abuja today February 26, attributed the rescheduling of the election to the late signing of the Electoral Act by President Buhari.
Yakubu mentioned that the Presidential and National Assembly elections will now hold on Saturday, February 25, 2023, while governorship and state houses of assembly elections will hold on March 11, 2023.
He explained that the new date is to allow for conformity with the provisions of the Electoral laws which stipulates that elections notice be published at least 260 days to the elections
The INEC boss also said the electoral guidelines will also be published in due course.
The new Act states that INEC must publish the notice of election at least 360 days to the polls.
Several groups had called on the President to sign the bill before February 22, 2022, in order to ensure that INEC would not need to change the date in conformity with the Act. However, the President signed the Amended electoral act on Friday, February 25, 2022.
Read the full text of INEC chairman’s speech below
- Blood From Mohbad’s Corpse – Explanation Of Human Decomposition After DeathWHAT ARE THE FOUR STAGES OF HUMAN DECOMPOSITION? According to Dr. Arpad A. Vass, a Senior Staff Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Tennessee in Forensic Anthropology, human decomposition begins around four minutes after a … Read more
- The Gruesome Murder Of The Roman Emperor – Julius Caesar (Throwback)Long before the day he was assassinated, Caesar had been warned by a soothsayer named Spurinna that the Ides of March (March 15 on the Roman calendar) held great danger for him. On that day in 44 B.C. Caesar’s wife Calpurnia, troubled by the … Read more
- Simi and Daughter Deja Warm Hearts as They Surprise Adekunle Gold on Stage at his Dallas Show (video)Singer Simi, alongside her daughter Deja, pulled a heartwarming surprise during her husband Adekunle Gold’s Dallas performance. Adekunle was on stage Friday night, Sept. 22, at his Dallas show in the United States when Deja walked up to the stage, holding a microphone. … Read more
- We Can Power 774 LGAs In Nigeria Within 24 Months – Prof. Emenike EjioguNSUKKA – The Dean, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nigeria Nsukka, UNN, Prof. Emenike Ejiogu, on Thursday, proposed to inject 7,000 megawatts of electricity across the 774 local government areas in Nigeria through the gasification plant. Prof. Ejiogu who is also the Director, Africa … Read more
- Airport Security Worker Caught Swallowing $300 Stolen from Passenger’s Wallet (video)A screening officer at Manila’s international airport was caught on video swallowing US$300 (RM1,406) worth of cash stolen from a passenger’s wallet. Footage from an airport security camera showed the officer, identified as Irency Morados, pushing US$300 worth of bills into her mouth. … Read more